Thursday, November 15, 2012

Drama Queens & Petty Princesses



Recently, I had to say good-bye to some dear friends.  Our relationship is strongly one sided on my part, but I still wish the best for them.  I hope I can wait until the next season to catch up with my favorite ladies from New Jersey.

What is it about these lycra clad, spray tanned women that makes me care about them so much?  Is it the gratuitous amount of Swarovski crystal?  Their animal print laden children? That they couldn’t name the Vice President?  I couldn’t say, and that also leads to the question: why do the Real Housewives of New Jersey interest me more than any of the other Housewives?  (Although I feel a little classy when the Hwives of Miami speak Spanish requiring Bravo to add subtitles…I’m sure it is just like Cannes!)

Do I wish I had the confidence to pull this off? 
 Courtesy of http://www.shopbrianlichtenberg.com

Somehow, I cannot tear myself away from a new season, even if I make a conscious decision to avoid a certain city. (Does anyone care about Orange County anymore?) Yet, I find myself with some downtime, and voila! a marathon is on.  Not only do I end up filling my free time, but I also end up running late to whatever I had planned. 

Television is full of misogynistic programs, and I can’t figure out where the Housewives fall in the spectrum.  One housewife runs multiple businesses - very Rachel Maddow - then the same housewife gets wasted and wears very little in the way of clothing - very Tara Reid.  Yet, somewhere in between there are loving husbands, charities, adorable children, and great pets!

However, my favorite part of the Housewives is discovering other fans. Nothing gets a conversation kicking like a recap of the latest episode.  (Perhaps this is why guys talk about sports all the time!) As I have recently relocated and said genuine goodbyes to friends that I love and miss dearly, I am glad to be a Housewives aficionado as I meet new people.  Is there a better way to start a conversation than by asking, “So, what did you think about the changes to the NYC cast?”

So even if Teresa Guidice, a “New York Times Selling Cookbook Author,” doesn’t reciprocate my feelings, she has certainly helped me to some great ice breakers.

P.S. What happened to Sheree?  And Camille?

P.P.S.  How come someone’s tag line always involves Not being a drama queen?

P.P.P.S. Not that I’ve thought about what my own tag line would be or anything, but…”They say Midwesterners are down to earth, but that doesn’t mean we don’t like nice things.”  And if that’s so wrong, I don’t want to be right. 

No comments:

Post a Comment