Sunday, October 7, 2012

Friends 4Ever!


For more on this, scroll down...

After a lot of transitioning, I now find myself with a lot of free time.  Living in one of the most exciting cities in the world means there are spectacular sites to see.  Unfortunately, most of these sites require pants.  While my closet may be full of Minnie Pants, more often than not I find myself snuggled on my couch with my dog. (His strong powers of the cuddle are the cutest scapegoat!)

You want to leave ME to go to a MUSEUM?!?


At first this meant catching up on my favorite television, but when I could no longer sit through another episode of House Hunters I turned to the internet to catch up on current events.  (Seriously, move in ready homes are over rated!)  My search began at the New York Times home page, but I was sidetracked by a Hairpin.com story, ‘Texts from the BSC’.  This write up, by Mallory Ortberg, sent me into a whirlwind of nostalgia.  On this one web page, I was connected to women who spent many elementary school days dreaming of meeting in Claudia’s bedroom eating stashed Twinkies and discussing new Kid Kit items. Women who tried desperately to find Stoneybrook, Connecticut on a map. (Map as in an atlas, this was before AOL.)  I wondered how many of these women also had a secret crush on Logan Bruno, especially after he chose bookish, shy Mary Anne. (Bookworm gets the hottie!  Or, the hottie had some librarian fetish!) 

Sorry women everywhere, Chick Lit is all downhill from here!


This website made my day, and then it made my week by leading me to The Babysitters Club inspired Fan Fiction.  Quickly, the BSC transformed from a clique of middle schoolers to characters from a CW drama, one that never should have made it past the pilot.  The impressive part about these stories is the abundant use of Ann M. Martin inspired details, even if they took the characters literally “out of this world”. 

I had difficulty deciding if these chapters were written in earnest.  Part of me hopes so, for hilarity’s sake, yet a part of me wonders why “fans” would want the worst for these fictional young women.  I assumed many of the BSC would endure dysfunctional relationships due to the abundance of divorce and blended families in Stoneybrook, but thought it would be dysfunctional/charming rather than dysfunctional/drug abusing teen mom route.  (As a side note, I think these writers are what could save daytime broadcast television.)

Although not considered great literature, Ann M. Martin gave me something very special, an enjoyment of reading.  And based on fanfiction.net, I am not the only person who felt her inspiration.

Now onto search Fan Fiction for “Felicity Merriman: An American Girl”, perhaps where this spunky red head has a racy affair with a Red Coat! 

No comments:

Post a Comment