Thursday, July 5, 2012

Girls' Night Out!

Recently, I have been watching a lot of television.  I should re-word that sentence.  Recently, I have been watching a lot of live day time television instead of recorded programs.  I have witnessed a lot of low budget and frequently repeated commercials (it's 100 degrees outside and Bravo keeps running marathons, so please forgive my idleness).  At this point, I'm convinced that I experienced prolonged asbestos exposure and at any moment, I will fall and not be able to get back up.  However, it is a certain movie preview that caught my attention.  Matthew McConaughey, sans shirt, is preaching to his fellow exotic dancers that their important purpose is to fulfill the fantasies of their female audience. Meanwhile, the females in the audience are taking advantage of their special night out, like this is a once in a lifetime occasion since they will never be let out of the house again.  Apparently, watching a bunch of guys dance around in the almost buff is the perfect way to spend quality time with your girlfriends.  

I might be in the minority, but seeing a bunch of well muscled, oily guys just makes me feel self conscious about skipping the gym. The history of male stripping is not a subject in which I am well versed, but I'm pretty certain the concept was thought up by a bunch of men attempting to make the stripping profession equal opportunity. 

After attending a Chippendale's show in Las Vegas recently, the consensus was that the show would have been much sexier if the guys were dancing instead of doing thrusts and gimmicks.  Perhaps I am a sour prude, but the Chippendale show did not fulfill my fantasies, nor was it the ideal Ladies Night Out.  (Perhaps it would be different if I had a sailor or motorcycle fetish.)  Overall, the show was over the top ridiculous, and pretty entertaining.

If I had to describe my version of an ideal Ladies Night, my monthly book club meetings come to mind.  There are few things more fun than drinking wine in good company.  While the book part of the evening is limited, I am proud that we usually manage at least thirty minutes of intelligent conversation before we digress to other casual topics, such as who will open the next bottle of wine.  As a thirty year old I find it difficult to make new girlfriends (sadly, the sticker book isn't as good of an ice breaker any more). Books have a great ability to bridge the small talk and wine has the power to loosen up even the grumpiest of us.  Mostly, I am thankful to the women who commit to meeting every month, because sometimes it seems like there aren't many chances to have a Ladies Night.  So, if spending Girls Night Out discussing contemporary literature instead of ogling some beef cakes strut their stuff is wrong, then I don't want to be right.




Thank you internet, for helping me find this image.

1 comment: