Thursday, December 8, 2011

'Tis the season

The most amazing thing happened the other day.  After staying at the office a few minutes late,  I left in the throngs of rush hour.  Normally I don't mind waiting, but I had forgotten both my book and phone, so the only thing I had to help pass the time was the soft sounds of a subway musician.  I'm starting to think that the local music conservatories force their students to perform at the subway stops for some weird artsy performance credit, one time a young girl with a key board was singing Abba tunes...  

Back on subject, three trains had passed, stuffed to the brim with disgruntled business casual folks.  If I wanted to get on the next train, I was going to have to get aggressive.  Then the train whistled and in rolls the CTA Holiday Train.  It was BEAUTIFUL! Everything I dreamed it would be! While I am a little sad that Santa wasn't in my car, it was probably for the best since I am 30.   My willpower was at full strength as I did NOT jump up and down screaming "Christmas Train! Christmas Train!!" like a young Justin Bieber fan or Elmo.  The train car was decorated beautifully, complete with peppermint/cinnamon/pine inscensed air.  Usually I am anti-air freshener as they are full of icky chemicals, but I was riding the CTA.  Anything above the usual eau de stale air and bodily fluids was a welcome change.  Needless to say, I took the train an extra stop, and it changed my ho-hum seasonal affective disordered day into a great day that made me excited for Christmas. 


Each year, I search a little harder to trigger Holiday Cheer.  It shouldn't be so difficult with the lights, the generosity, and when else can you justify decorating your house with bean bag reindeer? My husband might think never, but even he is not that much of a Scrooge! Yet, Christmas is the reminder that the wonderful Childhood Christmases are in the past - I should have known it was all downhill when I received towels as a gift in high school, and LOVED them!  As my family has grown older, we have spread out.  No longer are we all within the same ZIP code, let alone the same state.  I was so fortunate to grow up with my extended family nearby.  My grandparents always made Christmas extra special.  With the pajamas, cookies***, topped off with a visit from Santa Claus himself, Christmas was my favorite day of the year!  Now, as it becomes the next generation's turn to create Christmas magic, how can we thank our grandparents for all of those wonderful years?  (I am hoping that blogging about it is a first step!) More importantly, how do we continue to make Christmas time a positive time of year instead of a time of constant complaints and pepper spray? (Luckily there there hasn't been any pepper spray at our family functions!)  Perhaps a ride on the holiday train is just what the doctor ordered. 




I'm not sure why, but I am obsessed with these silly S & P shakers!


***The cookies are actually made by my mother, a fact that I would have left out if she wasn't going to read this!

PS: If anyone is game to watch A Muppet's Christmas Carol, I am totally game!

PPS: If you want to watch a really sad Christmas movie, watch The Family Stone,  There is something  cathartic in a good Christmas cry!  (Am I right, or is that the SAD talking?)  Although, thinking of those darn Whos in Whoville singing around the town tree, is a great way to open the floodgates!

PPPS: Even though I can't stop listening to the Glee Holiday soundtrack, here is a hilarious look at Christmas music.


No comments:

Post a Comment