Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Halloween Movies

When it comes to Halloween movies, one movie truly stands out above the rest.  I'm talking about the cinematic masterpiece Teen Witch. What other movie combines 80's hair, white dudes rapping, a locker room dance number AND magic? None come to my mind, and I watch a lot of Disney Channel. Something is pure fun about Louise's transformation to "the most popular girl". I definitely wish I had the power to transform my awkward best friend into super rapsterette! What a great way to make random plot twists all make sense...Magic!!!  (I would describe them, but I don't want to ruin the movie for anyone, or make myself out to be a crazy person!)

My view of Halloween is slightly off kilter, it's a combination of being squeamish about blood contrasted with a deep love for costumes and fun sized candy. Many people enjoy Halloween for the opportunity to embrace guts and horror, but I find that part unsettling.  I'm unable to distance the fantastical finished product from the idea that someone somewhere created these terribly violent gestures that make up the genre. Violence for the sake of violence just doesn't appeal to me, rather it makes me sleep with the lights on for weeks at a time! It is difficult to embrace a genre of movies based on the worst aspects of humanity, and it's even crazier that these movies are so successful there are endless sequels!

That's why I love Teen Witch, it is all camp without blood, guts, gore, or chainsaws! (The closest person to a psychopath is Louise's younger brother, and I'm sure he grew out of it.) So if it's wrong to consider Teen Witch my favorite Halloween movie, then I don't want to be right!

~Kristen

Want to see what the cast of Teen Witch is up to nowadays?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0098453/

Robyn Lively ironically played Kelsey Winthrop- Liz Lemon's high school tormentor!  Although that might only be ironic in the Alanis Morissette way.


I also really wanted to have "Finest Hour" as my wedding dance, unfortunately vetoed by my husband...

No comments:

Post a Comment